Wednesday, September 13, 2006






When in Rome...
Orange chocolate gelato, can't beat it. Caramel cream; close second. Pistachio; tried it, hated it. Nutella( a.k.a. Italian peanut butter), we'll pass. We can still smell the aroma of freshly baked olive bread and roasted tomato foccacia. Now that your mouths are watering, let us tell you what we can about the bewildering city of Roma, Italy.
We seem to have a way with arriving at the right time. The evening we arrived in Rome the city was energized about their annual "Carte Bianco" Festival. Carte bianco translates to White Night and all of the museums, stores, restaurants, and shops are open from 8p.m-8a.m. There are stages set up everywhere for FREE live performances of theatre, dance, music and other artistic fanfare. It is somewhat of a Taste of Chicago gone wild, but without lake Michigan, or the traffic, or the bad food, well anyway, you get the point.Lol. The city truly comes alive. You can feel the energy pulsating around you and this constant buzz is intoxicating. Moonlight stages, sweat dripping from clad tourists, and dancers flourishing in a parade of their showcased talent. We stayed out late, feasted on delicious food, and walked, walked, walked. The city is exotic at night and simply beautiful when lit up.
Our visit to the Colosseum was nothing short of spectacular. You can still hear the screams of the spectators and the howls of the barbarically slaughtered wild animals. The debachery, control, power, and shameful display of humanity, that were the Colosseum seeps out of the crumbling walls and pierces your soul. 5,000 wild beasts were killed in the opening week. The stadium packed in around 70, 000 onlookers. The show was run by unfortunate slaves. The whole concept is mind baffling. WHAT REALLY WENT ON? Did we mention that this all took place in 80 A.D? It is inconceivable to understand the horror that went on behind these walls, all for the sake of sport, yet there seems to be a pattern. Humans are frenzied by violence and continue to use violence as a means to an end. WE ( meaning Brad and Sam) do not believe humans are violent by nature, but history keeps repeating itself. War, violence, war, violence, war,... oh, and the cause of many of these wars...Religion. Which brings us to our next roman experience: The Churches.
Domes adorned with gold paint, vivid paintings depicting every biblical parable possible, and a sensation of the power that resides within the in Catholic church, are ever present in Rome. We were fortunate enough to be able to visit many churches and Holy places in this marvelous city. One does not have to be religious to appreciate the grandiose and magnificent works of art
located within these Holy walls. So many depictions of Christ and the Crucifixion, almost makes a believer in me...
The Vatican and the Sistine Chapel: One MUST experience it to comprehend the aesthetical beauty of it all. The only thing we find confusing is that sooo much of the artwork tell stories of murder, torture, war, and bloodshed...All in the name of God. Would this God truly approve of all of this bloodshed in her name?lol. It seems contradictory, but it is still pristine anyway. As far as we are concerned, Michelangelo should be worshiped because he was genuinely a master of the Arts! We would like to end with some words by U2...
One love, one life, sisters, brothers
One life and we are not the same but we need to carry each other...........
Right? We are all not the same but that is what makes us all so unique....PEACE!
Love from the most Catholic place on earth-




12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, seems like you two are truly inspired and making the most of everything! I love hearing about it and thanks for reminding me of all the amazing things I, too, experienced. Stay safe!
Kel
(p.s. I don’t like Nutella either!)

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you guys have a future with Frommers by the way you describe your travels....gorgeous, you two sexy biatches. I LOVED the pictures...the art is amazing over there, wish I could see it in real life! Keep on keepin' on and Sammie, give Brad a big smoochie for me and tell him I miss him...and Sammie? I miss you too girl.

K to the E to the V

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words truly bring us all closer to you. I love reading and wish for more.
The pictures are so amazing.
I am going there...I will not take another vacation until I can save to go there!!You two world travelers have made a wanabe
traveler out of me!!!LOL
Love you both!!
Waiting for the next stop :)
Love Mom xoxoxo

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and that Kiss......
Behave yourselves..you think
you're in some romantic place .....
Love ya!!
mom

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was soo good to here from you today. I long too see you two in January. Please let me know if you guys need anything at all. I will be viewing that video and your pictures tomorrow night. call me on Tuesday morning and we can talk a bit. Love ya.
Be careful.
Your Brother

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Samintita and Brad,
YOu guys are really doing it up. I don't know what to say other than truely amazing just like you guys. love you keep writing as we all live through you now.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the DVD's are amazing.
How you two ever got the nerve to jumb is beyond me!!! I am on my way now to your brothers house to show him the DVD and we will view all the pic's as he knows how to put them on the computer and do a slide show!! After tomorrow I won't be able to log on again until the 27.
Not as fab as yours but I am flying over water....love you both madly!!!
mommy

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam and Brad, It's Mike
You guys are out of control. I just watched the two of you falling from the sky on video, I am definetly going sky diving w/ you two here in chi-town when you come home. I don' t know what the temp is there, but it was 52 here all day and it sucked. Dad and I are the only two not out of the country for this upcoming week and I'm think'n I might just go to Delaware, ( Hi, I'm in Delaware ). Yeah I know that isn't out of the country. Any who, just wanted to write and say Hi and that I saw all of the pictures and had Mom make sure to burn a backup just in case. By the way, looking at all of those pictures together made me want to follow in your footsteps minus hangin out W/ the wierd guy wearing the Jesus is my Homeboy shirt, he's a freak or really confused. I Love you guys.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from Ottawa. Following your trip is like a Season Premiere with each episode! Love the pictures and reading your comments. Keep having a terrific time, stay safe, love to you both, Jim & Susan

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam and Brad

Great meeting you both at the Rome campground, hope the rest of your travels are as fun!
Be sure to drop me a line if you make it to NZ
Cheers
Leith (one of the kiwi boys)

leith@mail2bug.com

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on it's been over 10 days since the last blog. You keep us in suspence. I tried calling you but it wasn't working. I know you're having the time of your lives but you think you could hurry up and get here already.just kidding. North county is the same it's been a beautiful summer. Whem you get here you're going to have to learn to surf. Ecsepecially if you're living two blocks from Beacons the best learning wave around. Good news and bad news. The city turned us down for a pool in the front yard so no lounging by the pool, yet,good news the neighbors decided to sell there property so we're in escrow to buy it. Big lot to park all our trucks and equipment on and a small two bedroom house for you and Brad to live in and I got a new truck so you guys can drive my old one so we're sorry we can't meet you on your exploration but we're getting you set up so your comfortable when you get back to North county SUN Diego awating your arrivel. Love you can;t wait to read your next blog. Oh yea Shori's going ot be poping the kaitaro out in a month exciting aunte lyndee

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola,
We are back...wow time flew!!
Very hot...boy am I tan!!We just got home 15 minutes ago. I rushed to see if there was an update!
I am off work tomorrow so I will try and call you guys.

Love you madly!!
Love mom

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home